|March Is Women’s History Month|
New CD From
MADELEINE & SALOMON
“A WOMAN’S JOURNEY”
Artist: MADELEINE & SALOMON
Title: A WOMAN’S JOURNEY
Label: Tzigart/Promiseland PL0012
Release Date: JANUARY 2018
Artist Website: www.madeleine-salomon.com
UPC Code: 3 760100 040159
Clotilde : vocals, flute
Alexandre Saada : Piano, Rhodes, Clavinette, back vocals
All arrangements by : Madeleine & Salomon
Track listing w/ track time
1. Image (Nina Simone, William Waring Cuney) 1:55
2. Swallow song (Mimi Farina, Richard Farina) 2:16
3. All the Pretty Horses (Traditional) 3:19
4. No Government/High School Drag (Nicolette, Philip Anthony Johnson
/ Mel Welles) 4:52
5. At seventeen (Janis Ian) 2:23
6. Strange Fruit (Billie Holiday, Abel Meeropol) 3:09
7. Save the children (Al Cleveland, Renaldo Benson, Marvin Gaye) 4:32
8. Bain libre 1 (Alexandre Saada, Clotilde) 0:22
9. Little Girl Blue (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) 2:19
10. The End of Silence/Mercedes Benz (Elaine Brown/Janis Joplin) 4:25
11. Les eurs (Charles Stepney, Richard Rudolph) 2:07
12. Bain Libre 1 (Alexandre Saada, Clotilde) 0:51
13. Four women (Nina Simone) 6:35
14. Vous Faites Partie de Moi (Cole Porter, Josephine Baker) 2:39
15. Le Jour né de la Femme (Alexandre Saada, Clotilde) 3:54
Madeleine & Salomon is the meeting of two artists with well-established musical visions: the vocalist and flutist Clotilde and the pianist, composer, multi-instrumentalist, Alexandre Saada.
Long-term friends, they discovered, during a tour of Asia, in 2014, that they shared a common musical aesthetic and decided to form the duo Madeleine & Salomon with its minimalist music stamped in impressionist poetry.
They took advantage of the Melbourne Recital Centre (Australia) invitation in June 2015 to rethink the American Songbook in their decidedly original fashion, and record their first album A Woman’s Journey. This homage to American female protest songstresses is enriched on stage by free improvisations inspired by dreamlike short films specifically edited from stock shots.
A lonely voice, surveying a minor scale and reciting fundamentally feminist lines. Thus commences this first album of Madeleine & Salomon, “A Woman’s Journey”. A minimalist and delicate duo tackling a humanist and rebellious repertoire. Madeleine sings, Salomon sits at the piano. Madeleine & Salomon, a duo with a natural elegance, “less is more” their essence.
The epic and libertarian duo Madeleine & Salomon embraces with ardor the feminist American songbook to cover it with loving-kindness tinged with a minimalistic music and with a deep and incandescent chant. Their 1st album A Woman’s Journey reveals a graceful and unexpected reinterpretation of a humanist and rebellious repertoirefrom Nina Simone to Janis Joplin to Billie Holiday to Josephine Baker.
Vocalist and flutist Clotilde (CLOW-TEELD) completed her studies in jazz and improvised music at the IACP and EDIM schools. She also explored world music vocal techniques ,developing an original approach to the voice as a multifaceted and narrative instrument. In 2007, Clotilde released Live au 7 Lézards. Accompanied by guitarist Hugo Lippi, the album was acclaimed by Jazzman, Jazzmag and Jazzhot magazines.
Pianist , composer, and multi - instrumentalist Alexandre Saada [SAH - AH - DAH]
studied classical music for ten years before expanding to include jazz, pop, and song, stud ying under Michel Petrucciani. Since his installation in Paris in 1999 he has not only carved out his own career of compos ing, performing and lead ing but has also worked alongside many artists as Leonore Boulanger, Electricdiva and Malia. In 2010 he performed solo at the Saint - Germain Jazz Festival. He has compose d for cinema, garnering a purse of the Sacem. In 2014 h e released Continuation to the end , followed by Portraits in 2015 .